Tiny pearls of acini di pepe are marinated in a fruity custard and tossed with crushed pineapple, mandarin oranges, whipped topping and mini marshmallows to make a bright, refreshing pasta salad. Top with Maraschino cherries for eye-popping color.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 cup acini di pepe pasta
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained with juice reserved
- 1 (15 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained with liquid reserved
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 7 ounces miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained (optional)
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain.
In medium saucepan, combine reserved liquids from pineapple and oranges (equals about 1 1/2 cups), sugar, eggs, salt and flour. Cook until thick, stirring constantly. When mixture becomes thick, add cooked pasta and refrigerate overnight.
The next day, add pineapple and oranges, whipped topping and marshmallows to taste. Mix together and top with cherries if desired. Keep chilled until served.