Peanut flavor is balanced by warm spices and the earthy sweetness of sweet potatoes.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped, unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 bunch chopped fresh cilantro
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute the onion 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Mix in the garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and cloves. Stir in the tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrot, and continue to cook and stir about 5 minutes.
Pour water into the saucepan, and season the mixture with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
Remove the soup mixture from heat. In a food processor or blender, blend the soup and peanuts until almost smooth. Season with cayenne pepper. Return to the saucepan. Whisk in the peanut butter, and cook until heated through. Serve warm topped with fresh cilantro.