Use fresh or canned salmon in this rich-tasting soup.
INGREDIENTS (for 7 servings):
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth, divided
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 (14.75 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 cups cooked salmon chunks or 2 cans (7-1/2 ounces each) salmon, drained and bones removed
In a saucepan, cook onion, celery, green pepper and garlic in 1/4 cup broth until tender. Add potatoes, carrots, seasoned salt if desired, dill and remaining broth. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add zucchini; simmer for 5 minutes. Add corn, milk and salmon; heat through.
Nutritional Analysis: One 1-cup serving (prepared with low-sodium broth, no-salt-added corn and evaporated skim milk and without seasoned salt) equals 225 calories, 147mg sodium, 27mg cholesterol, 29 gm carbohydrate, 20 gm protein, 4 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.© 2002 Reiman Media Group, Inc.