A light, fluffy frozen almond mousse, studded with almonds and red and green cherries. These are really easy to make and, their flavor improves if they're made a few weeks in advance, and stored in the freezer.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon sherry wine or Marsala
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup almond macaroon crumbs
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 6 red maraschino cherries, chopped
- 6 green maraschino cherries, chopped
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 4 maraschino cherries, halved for garnish
In a small bowl, beat egg white until foamy. Gradually beat in sugar, and continue beating until thick and glossy; set aside.
Whip cream in a large bowl. Carefully fold in sherry, almond extract, macaroon crumbs, ground almonds, and chopped red and green cherries. Gently fold egg white into cream mixture.
Spoon into 8 paper baking cups placed in medium size muffin tray. Sprinkle with slivered almonds. Cover muffin tray with clear plastic wrap, then wrap with aluminum foil. Freeze overnight.
To serve: Let sit for 5 minutes at room temperature, then garnish with maraschino cherry halves.