This is a simple and easy to toss together recipe using cauliflower. Serve this dish with Indian breads such as thin rotis or naans - even a pita bread will do! Garnish with cilantro if you'd like. Asofoetida can be found in some grocery stores, but will
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 pinch ground turmeric
- 1 hot green pepper, split down its length (optional)
- 3 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
- 1 potato, cubed
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- salt to taste
Heat oil over a medium-high heat. Toss in the mustard seeds; when they start spluttering, add the asafoetida, followed by the cumin seeds, turmeric powder and the green pepper. Add the chopped tomatoes and ginger; stir and saute for a few minutes.
Add the potato, cauliflower florets, sugar and salt; stir well and cook until the potatoes are cooked and the cauliflower tender yet crunchy. (For a crunchier cauliflower, add it when the potatoes are just getting done but not quite finished cooking).