This dish is also known as Rigatoni alla Amatriciana. It is a delicious blend of tomatoes, white wine, and pancetta bacon is spiced with a bit of crushed red pepper for an easy and elegant Italian meal.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 (16 ounce) package BARILLA Rigatoni
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 5 ounces pancetta or bacon, cut into thin strips
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 16 ounces plum tomatoes, peeled seeded and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
COOK Rigatoni according to package directions; drain and return to pot.
MEANWHILE, heat oil in large skillet over low heat. Saute garlic and red pepper 4 minutes or until garlic is golden. Remove garlic and discard. Add onions to skillet and cook over medium heat about 8 minutes until golden, stirring frequently. Add pancetta and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
ADD wine and bring to boiling. Cook until wine is almost evaporated, about 8 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook 5 minutes until slightly thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
STIR tomato mixture into Rigatoni. Toss gently with cheese. Transfer to serving platter.