Very rich and filling, this cheesy almond and rice casserole is great for potlucks and family gatherings.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can water or chicken broth
- 4 cups cooked diced chicken
- 2 cups water chestnuts, drained (optional)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups crushed buttery round crackers
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup shredded Colby cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large pan over medium heat, stir together cream of chicken soup and water (or broth). Stir in chicken, chestnuts, lemon juice, and mayonnaise. Stir in celery, onion, salt, and rice. Combine well, then pour into a casserole dish.
Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Pour in crushed crackers, and stir to coat with butter. Pour crackers over the top of casserole. Then sprinkle almonds and shredded cheese over the top.
Bake in preheated oven until cheese is melted, about 30 minutes.