A zesty tomato sauce with garlic, capers, and kalamata olive, that goes great over pasta or with white fish or chicken.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can organic Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 (6.5 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 15 kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- crushed red pepper to taste (optional)
- crumbled Feta or grated Parmesan Cheese
In a skillet, cook onion in olive oil over medium high heat until tender and translucent. Stir in garlic, and cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, capers, olives, vinegar, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper (if using).
Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for a minimum of 30 minutes, or up to 2 hours, time permitting. Serve over pasta, fish, or chicken, and top with crumbled feta or grated Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!