These brownies are a result of my tampering with a regular brownie recipe and obtaining an amazing result. They are so moist and fudgy that you'll never know they're good for you!
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coffee flavored extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8x8 inch square pan.
In a medium bowl, stir together the applesauce, white sugar, egg whites and butter until smooth. Mix in the buttermilk, vanilla extract and coffee extract. Combine the cocoa, all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt; stir into the sugar mixture just until incorporated. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, but the brownies are still moist. Cool, and cut into squares.