Slow-baking this apple butter in the oven gives it a slightly caramelized quality.
INGREDIENTS (for 3 servings):
- 2 (16 ounce) jars applesauce
- 2 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a 2 quart casserole combine applesauce, sugar, vinegar, cloves and cinnamon. Bake uncovered for 2 1/2 hours or until mixture is very thick. Stir occasionally during baking.
Allow to cool and place in jars or freezer containers.