An easy and quick way to make boneless chicken breast. Chicken is simmered with apples, currants and pine nuts. Serve this hot over steamed rice or serve it cold and sliced as part of a summer time brunch.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 3 apples - peeled, cored and sliced
- 3 tablespoons dried currants
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts (optional)
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic until soft and translucent. Move the onions to the side, and brown chicken breasts 4 minutes on each side. Top chicken with apples, currants and pine nuts. Pour in apple juice. Season with thyme, parsley, jalapeno, salt and pepper. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until apples are cooked and chicken is no longer pink.