Prepare this easy, flavorful stuffing in a baking dish, or use it to stuff a big bird. Apple and sausage give it an engaging flavor.
INGREDIENTS (for 9 servings):
- 2 (8.5 ounce) packages dry corn muffin mix
- 1 pound pork sausage links, thinly sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple - peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 slices white bread, cut into cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions. Cool and crumble.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Place sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain and set aside.
In a large skillet over medium heat, slowly cook and stir the mushrooms, celery, onion and garlic until soft.
In a large bowl, mix the crumbled prepared corn muffin mix, sausage, mushroom mixture, apple, bread, salt and pepper.
Transfer the mixture to a medium baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven 45 minutes, or until lightly browned.