A sprinkling of grated Longhorn cheese balances the sweetness in this gelatin based fruit and nut salad.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 (15 ounce) can apricot halves, drained with juice reserved
- 2 (8 ounce) cans crushed pineapple, drained with juice reserved
- 2 (6 ounce) packages orange flavored gelatin mix
- 2 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby longhorn cheese
Drain and reserve syrup from apricots and pineapple. Add water to equal 2 1/2 cups.
In a mixing bowl, dissolve the gelatin in hot water. Stir in 1 1/2 cups reserved fruit syrup, set aside to cool.
To the gelatin mixture, add the apricots, pineapple, nuts and marshmallows. Stir to combine, pour into a lightly oiled 9x13 inch pan and chill until firm.
In a small sauce pan, combine the sugar, flour, egg, remaining fruit syrup and butter. Heat and stir constantly until thickened. Refrigerate until chilled.
Whip cream until stiff peaks form; fold into chilled custard mixture. Spread over gelatin, refrigerate, and sprinkle with cheese before serving.