A classic South American potato salad, also known as 'Ensalada Rusa,' that contains chopped green olives and mixed vegetables with a little kick of lemon and ground mustard.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 4 russet potatoes - peeled, boiled, and cubed
- 3 hard cooked eggs, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can mixed vegetables
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 5 tablespoons chopped pimiento-stuffed olives
- salt and black pepper to taste
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook peeled potatoes until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool, and cube.
Place eggs in a saucepan, and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, and immediately remove from heat. Cover pan, and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water and allow to cool. Peel and chop the eggs, and toss together with the potatoes and vegetables in a large mixing or serving bowl.
In a separate bowl, combine the mayonnaise, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground mustard, lemon juice, dill weed, and green olives. Stir to blend. Pour dressing over the potato mixture, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour, or overnight.
Potato Salad Tips