A great way to start your Italian meal! I usually serve it with crusty bread slices that have been toasted in the oven until crisp for dipping into the marinade. Keeps for a week in the refrigerator and the longer it stands the better it gets!
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 3 (6.5 ounce) jars marinated artichoke hearts, undrained
- 1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained and sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black olives, drained
- 1 pound smoked provolone cheese, diced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
- 8 fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
Pour the jars of artichoke hearts with their liquid into a 1 1/2 quart or larger container with a tight sealing lid. Add the bell peppers, black olives, and provolone cheese.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over the ingredients in the container. Seal the lid, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, shaking gently about once per hour.
To serve, allow the mixture to come to room temperature. Soon onto serving plates, and top with basil shreds as a garnish.