This low-fat meal is always well received. With asparagus, tomato, pasta and chunks of ham, it's a tempting blend of tastes and textures.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 3/4 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, julienned
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 3 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 6 ounces reduced-sodium fully cooked ham, cubed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, saute asparagus and yellow pepper in oil until tender. Add tomatoes and ham; heat through. Drain pasta; add to the vegetable mixture. Stir in seasonings. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving (1-1/3 cups) equals 238 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 522 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.© 2002 Reiman Media Group, Inc.