Beef jerky made easy in the microwave with lots of peppery flavor.
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings):
- 6 tablespoons Demerara sugar
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curing salt
- 2 tablespoons crushed dried chile pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons garlic pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon finely ground juniper berries
- 6 pounds beef round steak, cut into 6x1/2 inch strips
In a medium bowl, mix together the Demerara sugar, salt, curing salt, chile pepper, cayenne pepper, and juniper berries. Divide the mixture into 3 equal parts, and place each into its own bowl.
Mix 2 pounds of meat strips into the mixture of each bowl until evenly coated with the spice mixture. Place all of the meat lengthwise into a large glass or plastic bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 3 days.
Preheat the oven to 150 degrees F (65 degrees C). On a large plate, arrange 6 or 8 strips of meat at a time, and place in a microwave oven. Cook for 3 minutes on HIGH. Remove meat strips to a baking sheet, and keep in the warm oven for 3 to 4 hours, or until dry. Do not over dry, jerky should be chewy, not crispy.