This recipe is adapted from a recipe shared by our Aunt Dot. The ground turkey makes it healthier, although ground beef can be used instead. Can be made in a slow cooker for an easy yummy meal! Good Virginia cooking!
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 cups water
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can peas, drained
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn, with liquid
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 3 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 3 teaspoons ground black pepper, or to taste
- 3 teaspoons garlic salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (optional)
Bring water to boil in a saucepan; add potatoes, and boil until tender ( about 15 minutes).
Pour the potatoes and the water used to boil them into a large pot. Stir in onion, peas, corn, tomatoes, ground turkey, and bacon. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the salt, pepper, garlic salt, and sugar. If stew appears too watery, stir together flour and some of the stew liquid in a small cup, and then stir mixture into the stew. Continue cooking for 1 hour.