Vegetables are baked in a blend of white wine and herbs, then blended with cheeses and cream.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/4 pound zucchini, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can garbanzo beans, with liquid
- 1 (8 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes with liquid, chopped
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and saute onion until tender and lightly browned.
In a medium baking dish, mix onion, zucchini, garbanzo beans with liquid, tomatoes with liquid, wine, butter, garlic, basil, and bay leaf.
Cover, and bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes. Uncover, stir, and continue baking 30 minutes.
Stir heavy cream, Monterey Jack cheese, and Romano cheese into the vegetable mixture, and continue baking 10 minutes, until cheeses are melted and bubbly.