This recipe uses two unusual ingredients: sumac and purslane. I find them at farmer's markets. Fattoush is a Lebanese salad, good for hot weather.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons sumac powder
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium cucumber, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup chopped purslane
- 1/2 (5 ounce) package arugula
- 4 pita rounds, toasted and torn into pieces
Mix the water and cornstarch in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until thickened. Remove from heat, and mix in lemon juice, garlic, sumac, salt, and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
In a large bowl, toss together the lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, green onions, parsley, mint, bell pepper, purslane, and arugula. Toss with the dressing, and serve with pita.