This sparkling salad is creamy and slightly tart. Nuts and celery add texture. Not only do adults love it, so do the kids! Cut the finished salad into squares and serve on crisp leaves of lettuce. Adjust the amount of nuts, if desired.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package lemon flavored gelatin mix
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup diced, unpeeled apples
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup frozen whipped topping, thawed
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, boil the pineapple and sugar 3 minutes. Mix in the lemon gelatin mix, stirring until dissolved. Stir in the cream cheese. Remove from heat and allow to cool 10 to 15 minutes.
Gently fold the apples, nuts, celery and whipped topping into the mixture. Transfer to a 9x9 inch square pan. Refrigerate 4 hours, or until firm.