A base of stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, white wine and steak sauce surrounds chili-seasoned ground beef, bacon and kidney beans in this chili brightened with cilantro.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup steak sauce, (e.g. Heinz 57)
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 (1.25 ounce) package chili seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
In a large pot over medium-low heat, combine tomatoes, tomato paste, carrot, onion, celery, wine, pepper flakes, bell peppers and steak sauce.
While tomato mixture is simmering, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels. Cook beef in bacon drippings until brown; drain. Stir chili seasoning into ground beef.
Stir seasoned beef, cumin and bacon into tomato mixture. Continue to simmer until vegetables are tender and flavors are well blended.
Stir in beans, cilantro and parsley. Heat through and serve.