Thinly sliced eggplant is lightly fried, then stuffed with a spinach and cheese mixture and baked with pasta sauce and mozzarella cheese.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder, divided
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 2 large eggplant, peeled and sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 (28 ounce) jar tomato pasta sauce, divided
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a shallow mixing bowl combine 3 eggs, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 cup Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. In a separate, shallow dish or plate, pour the flour.
Heat oil in a large, deep skillet. Dredge eggplant slices in flour, then in egg mixture and fry slices 2 or 3 at a time in hot oil. Place fried slices on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
In a large bowl combine ricotta, 1/2 cup mozzarella, remaining 1 cup Parmesan, remaining 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 egg, parsley and spinach; mix well.
Spread about 1/3 of the pasta sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Place about 2 tablespoons of spinach mixture in the center of each eggplant slice and roll securely; place in prepared pan. Pour remaining pasta sauce over eggplant rolls and top with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount may vary depending on cook time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.