Barbecued salmon fillets served with a homemade vinaigrette dressing on a bed of mixed greens. This recipe is full of flavor and color and will impress your friends.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 6 (6 ounce) fillets salmon
- olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups tomato-vegetable juice cocktail
- 1 tablespoon balsamic or cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound mixed salad greens, rinsed and dried
In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, sugar, salt, allspice, cumin, white pepper, and paprika. Reserve 1 1/2 tablespoons of the mixture for the vinaigrette, and sprinkle remaining spice mixture over salmon fillets. Cover, and refrigerate for 6 hours.
Preheat grill for high heat.
Lightly oil grill grate, and spread a small amount of olive oil on salmon fillets. Cook salmon 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until easily flaked with a fork.
In a small bowl, mix together tomato-vegetable juice cocktail, vinegar, tomatoes, olive oil, and reserved spice mixture to make vinaigrette. Place salad greens in a large bowl, drizzle with vinaigrette, and toss to coat.
Divide greens among individual serving plates. Top each plate with a salmon fillet, and spoon any remaining vinaigrette over the salmon.