Here's a colorfully scrumptious version of your basic BLT! Saute strips of romaine lettuce in bacon fat, add chopped tomatoes and toss with hot pasta. Sprinkle crumbled bacon and Asiago cheese over the top.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 head romaine lettuce- rinsed, dried and chopped
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 5 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Asiago cheese
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) package small seashell pasta
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
Brown bacon until crisp. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons grease. Set bacon aside.
Return oil to frying pan, add lettuce. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes over medium-high heat. Add roma tomatoes. Cook for 2 additional minutes.
Toss vegetables with cavatini.
Crumble drained bacon. Sprinkle top of vegetables and pasta with bacon and shaved Asiago cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.