This heavenly black-eyed pea salad has a slight Middle Eastern accent and gets a citrus kick from fresh orange and lemon juice.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 1/2 cups dried black-eyed peas, soaked overnight
- 1/3 cup chopped celery, with leaves
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrot
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 oranges, juiced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
Place the beans in a saucepan with enough water to cover them by one inch. Bring beans to a slow boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer until tender but not mushy (about 35 minutes). Set aside to cool.
When the beans have cooled, place them in a large bowl. Add the celery, carrots, parsley, white onion, and mint; toss to blend.
For dressing, blend olive oil, orange and lemon juice, garlic, coriander, salt, pepper, and brown sugar in a blender for 6 seconds. Transfer to a small saucepan, and simmer over low heat for five minutes. Remove from heat, and cool. Pour dressing over the bean salad, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.