These barbecue ribs are a labor of love; this recipe calls for a dry rub and two basting sauces to season baby back ribs. The first bite will assure you that it was all worth while.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 2 (2 pound) slabs baby loin back ribs
- 3 tablespoons Dry Spices (see below)
- 1 cup Basting Sauce (see below)
- 1 cup Sweet Sauce (see below)
- Dry Spices:
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Basting Sauce:
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dry Spices
- 2 cups red wine vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 small bay leaf
- Sweet Sauce:
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 (8 ounce) can canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup honey mustard
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
COMBINE all Dry Spices ingredients in a small bowl.
STIR together all Basting Sauce ingredients; cover and let stand 8 hours. Remove bay leaf. (Sauce is intended for basting ribs only.)
BRING all Sweet Sauce ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven. Reduce heat, and simmer sauce, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
PLACE ribs in a large, shallow pan. Rub Dry Spices evenly over ribs. Cover and chill 3 hours.
PREPARE a hot fire by piling charcoal or lava rocks on one side of grill, leaving other side empty. (For gas grill, light only one side.) Place food rack on grill. Arrange ribs over unlit side.
GRILL ribs, covered with grill lid, over medium heat (300 degrees to 350 degrees) for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, basting every 30 minutes with Basting Sauce and turning occasionally. Brush ribs with Sweet Sauce the last 30 minutes.
Reprinted with permission of Southern Living® magazine. All rights reserved.