Cubes of beef chuck tossed in seasoned bread crumbs are cooked for 10 hours in a slow cooker with vegetables, condensed tomato soup, soy sauce and quick cooking tapioca in this easily assembled stew.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 pounds lean beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/3 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 carrots, cut into thick strips
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed tomato soup
- 1 cup beef broth
Combine bread crumbs with salt and pepper and toss with beef. Place coated beef cubes into a slow cooker and add onion, carrots, celery, basil, tapioca, mushrooms, soy sauce, tomato soup and broth. Stir well, cover and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours, or on high for 3 to 5 hours.