This is a great supper that families love. Chipotles in adobo are smoked jalapenos in a spicy sauce, and they are found in cans in the specialty or Mexican section of the supermarket.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 (16 ounce) cans baked beans, undrained
- 1 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle chilies with some of the adobo sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 6 (10 inch) flour tortillas, warmed
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 3 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- Prepared salsa and guacamole (optional)
- 4 sprigs cilantro sprigs (optional)
In a large saucepan, heat the beans, chipotles and cumin over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until simmering. Stir in the green onions and chopped cilantro; continue to simmer 2 minutes.
To assemble, spoon about 1/2 cup bean mixture on center of each tortilla. Top with equal amounts of the cheese and lettuce. Fold bottom edge up over filling. Fold right and left sides to center, overlapping edges.
Serve with the salsa and guacamole and garnish with the cilantro sprigs, if desired.