A big, cheesy chicken-pot-pie brimming with vegetables.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 2 cups cooked, cubed chicken meat
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 (5 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted and sliced almonds
- 2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimento peppers (optional)
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 slices white bread, cut into cubes
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
In a large heat-resistant bowl combine the chicken, celery, peas, water chestnuts, 1/4 cup of the almonds, bell pepper, onion, pimiento, wine and lemon juice. Mix all together.
In a saucepan heat the milk and soup over low heat, stirring. Pour soup/milk mixture into bowl containing chicken mixture and mix well. Pour this mixture into a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Top with bread crumbs.
Bake casserole in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until bubbly. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake for 5 to 6 minutes more. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup almonds on top and serve.