You do most of the leg work the night before so the bread and apples can really soak up the flavors. In the morning, simply pop them in the oven and prepare the luscious caramel sauce to ladle over all.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1 (1 pound) loaf French bread, sliced
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 apple - peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Cut bread into 1 1/2 inch thick slices and place in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking pan. In a large bowl, beat eggs with 1 1/2 cup skim milk, 1/3 cup white sugar, and 1 tablespoon vanilla. Pour egg mixture over bread slices.
Arrange apple slices on top of bread. Sprinkle cinnamon, nutmeg, and 2 tablespoons white sugar over apples. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
In the morning: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Bake toast in preheated oven until golden brown, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, combine 1/2 cup white sugar, flour, and margarine. Stir in brown sugar, 1/2 cup skim milk, and 2 teaspoons vanilla in a small saucepan. Cook until thick. Serve French toast hot with warm sauce.