To lighten this Italian dish, simply use no-salt-added tomato products, light sour cream, light cream cheese, and reduced-fat Cheddar cheese.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can canned tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 8 ounces uncooked linguine
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
COOK beef and garlic in a Dutch oven, stirring until beef crumbles and is no longer pink. Stir in tomatoes and next 4 ingredients; simmer 30 minutes. Set mixture aside.
COOK pasta according to package directions; drain. Place pasta in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
STIR together sour cream, cream cheese, and green onions. Spread over pasta. Top with meat sauce.
BAKE at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese, and bake 5 more minutes or until cheese melts. Let stand 5 minutes. Serve with a salad and bread, if desired.
Reprinted with permission of Southern Living® magazine. All rights reserved.