Rich and spicy, this bread is wonderfully laced with cinnamon, cardamom, allspice, cloves and fresh ginger. Chopped dates and dark beer add even more complexity. The recipe yields two intense loaves.
INGREDIENTS (for 3 servings):
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (optional)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups dark beer
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups dates, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
In a large bowl cream the brown sugar, banana, eggs, and vanilla. For moister bread, add oil, if desired.
In a separate bowl, sift together 3 cups flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, all spice, cardamom, and cloves. Alternately blend the flour mixture and beer into the creamed mixture.
Toss the walnuts with the remaining flour. Stir in the dates and ginger to the mixture and blend well. Pour into two greased 9x5 loaf pans.
Bake in a 350 degree F (175 degrees C) oven for 1 hour, or until inserted toothpick emerges dry and clean.