Thick slices of bread are stuffed with bananas and soaked in a rich batter in this excitingly different French toast recipe!
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 (1 pound) loaf French bread, cut into 1 inch slices
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup butter
- confectioners' sugar for dusting
Create a pocket about 2/3 of the way into each slice of bread by cutting along an edge. Fill pockets with 2 or 3 banana slices each.
In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, water, milk, vanilla extract, orange liqueur and orange zest. Dip the bread slices in the mixture, allowing slices to become saturated.
Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Place a few slices at a time in the skillet, and cook, turning once, until both sides are golden brown. Dust with confectioners' sugar to serve.