I hate tofu but love tempeh and this sandwich is tangy and tasty. My boyfriend and I eat this all the time. It's great because it's vegan for him and I still like it (even though I'm not a vegetarian).
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 cup barbecue sauce, your choice
- 1 (8 ounce) package tempeh, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 kaiser rolls, split and toasted
Pour the barbeque sauce into a medium bowl. Crumble the tempeh into the sauce, and let it marinate a little, about 10 minutes.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the red and green peppers, and the onion. Cook, stirring frequently until tender. Stir in the tempeh and barbeque sauce, and heat through.
Spoon the tempeh mixture onto kaiser rolls, and serve.