Short ribs, once considered old fashioned, now appears on the menus of trendy restaurants, but why spend the money when they are so inexpensive and easy to make at home.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 3 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons HERB-OX® Beef Flavored Bouillon Granules
- 1 cup hickory smoked barbecue sauce
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in a small amount of water
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and brown the short ribs on all side. Place the ribs in a slow cooker and top with the onions. In a medium bowl, combine the water, beef granules, barbecue sauce, brown sugar and Dijon mustard. Pour sauce over ribs, cover and cook on low for about 6-7 hours, or until tender. Add the cornstarch mixture and continue to cook until the sauce thickens, about 20 minutes.