A lightly seasoned oil and lemon juice dressing perfectly accents the flavors of this salad made with barley, shrimp, and red and green bell peppers.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 cup barley
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 pound cooked bay shrimp
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine barley and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for approximately 35 minutes.
Transfer barley to a large bowl, and toss with shrimp, corn, bell peppers, green onions, thyme, and lemon zest.
In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Pour dressing over barley salad, and toss to combine.