This cornbread is loaded with extras. Onion, pepper-jack cheese, corn, basil and roasted red peppers make this savory bread dense and delicious.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 3/4 cups cornmeal
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups shredded pepperjack cheese
- 1 1/3 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained
- 2 ounces roasted marinated red bell peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Butter a 9x9x2 inch baking pan.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in medium nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and saute until tender, about 10 minutes. Cool.
Mix cornmeal with the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and baking soda in large bowl. Add 7 tablespoons butter and rub with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
Whisk buttermilk and eggs in medium bowl to blend. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir until blended. Mix in cheese, corn, red peppers, basil, and onion. Transfer to prepared pan.
Bake cornbread until golden and tester inserted comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool 20 minutes in pan. Cut cornbread into squares.