At a recent party our friends went wild over this. A simple pesto is spread on Italian bread and layered with roma tomatoes and cheese. It takes a little time, but it is worth it. I freeze the basil in ice cube trays, then put the cubes in freezer bags
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (1 pound) loaf Italian bread
- 3 roma (plum) tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 (8 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, sliced
In a blender or food processor, puree the basil leaves, olive oil and garlic. Mix in the pine nuts and Parmesan cheese. Continue processing until desired consistency is reached.
Preheat the broiler.
Slice Italian bread to desired thickness. Spread a layer of pesto on each slice. Top with roma (plum) tomatoes and mozzarella cheese.
Place topped bread slices in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Broil 5 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.