These simple batter bread muffins go well with any breakfast.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1/2 cup shortening, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
Stir in shortening, sugar, salt and 2 cups flour; beat well. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape sides of bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
Grease 12 muffin cups. Spoon in batter until cups are half full. Let rise in warm place until batter reaches top of the cup, about 20 to 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from pans and brush tops with melted butter.