White beans, cannellini or navy, and chicken broth form the base of this soup made with fresh kale and tomatoes.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil
- 8 large garlic cloves, crushed or minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups chopped raw kale
- 4 cups low-fat, low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans, such as cannellini or navy, undrained
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herb seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup chopped parsley
In a large pot, heat olive oil. Add garlic and onion; saute until soft. Add kale and saute, stirring, until wilted. Add 3 cups of broth, 2 cups of beans, and all of the tomato, herbs, salt and pepper. Simmer 5 minutes. In a blender or food processor, mix the remaining beans and broth until smooth. Stir into soup to thicken. Simmer 15 minutes. Ladle into bowls; sprinkle with chopped parsley.