Hot, hot, hot! Simmering in coconut milk, ginger, garlic, and a melange of spices, these beans don't skimp on the heat. So if you want a milder version, be sure to adjust the seasonings.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon curry paste
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
Stir the coconut milk, ginger, garlic, and parsley into a deep skillet over medium heat. Season with salt, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, and curry paste. Bring to a slow boil. Then stir in black beans, kidney beans, and red and green bell peppers; simmer, stirring often, until about 1/3 of the liquid is evaporated and the sauce has thickened, about 30 to 45 minutes. Cover, and let cool for 5 to 10 minutes.