Hearty and chock-full of veggies, this recipe calls for ground turkey that is sauteed with onion, parsley, thyme, garlic and veggies, all layered in a whole wheat crust with cheese and mashed red potatoes. It makes two 9-inch pies.
INGREDIENTS (for 1 servings):
- 5 large red potatoes, peeled
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 (9 inch) whole wheat pie crusts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1 zucchini, thickly sliced
- 1/4 cup canned green beans, halved
- 6 large fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter, diced
Boil potatoes until tender. Mash with 3 tablespoons butter or margarine and milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
Saute onion and carrots in olive oil until soft. Stir in ground turkey, parsley, thyme, and garlic. Once turkey is almost browned and broken up, add zucchini and mushrooms. Salt and pepper to taste. Drain. Stir in flour.
Divide meat mixture into two whole wheat pie crusts. Sprinkle cheese over meat, if desired. Spread green beans over the cheese. Spread potatoes over all with a spatula; the mashed potatoes act as the top crust. Dot with butter.
Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 30 minutes, or until potatoes have browned slightly.