Make your next barbecue a South Beach Diet Phase 3 fiesta with these kabobs over brown rice and pine nuts.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 servings):
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound boneless top sirloin steak, cut into 1" squares
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 12 large mushrooms
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, oil, water, mustard, oregano, and black pepper. Add the steak, bell pepper, and mushrooms, tossing to coat. Alternately thread the steak, bell pepper, and mushrooms on each of 4 metal skewers. Set aside.
Prepare the rice according to package directions. Keep warm. Meanwhile, place the kabobs on a grill over medium coals. Grill uncovered, turning occasionally for 8 to 11 minutes or until a meat thermometer measures 145 degrees F (for medium-rare).
Mix the toasted pine nuts into the rice. Serve the kabobs over the rice mixture, allowing 1/2 cup rice per serving.
This recipe is optimal for Phase 1, Phase 2, or Phase 3 of the South Beach Diet.