This is a hearty autumn stew. Beer adds a sweetness and malty flavor to the beef.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 pounds lean beef stew meat
- 6 cups sliced onions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 HERB-OX® Beef Flavored Bouillon Granules
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups dark beer - with or without alcohol
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with equal parts water
Heat butter in a large skillet and brown the beef. Place browned beef in a slow cooker. Add onions and garlic in the skillet to brown lightly, and then place them into the slow cooker with the beef. Add the water, beef granules, thyme, beer, brown sugar and mustard to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours. Add cornstarch mixture to the stew and continue to cook until thickened, about 20 minutes.