Beef stew with walnuts, peppers, mushrooms, onion and garlic. Serve over rice. It is even good cold! Originally from Australia.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 pounds beef chuck steak, cut into 2 inch strips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 large onion, cut in strips
- 1 1/2 cups walnut pieces
- 1 cup tomato juice
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh mushrooms, sliced
In a large pan, melt butter in oil over medium heat. Cook meat in hot fat until browned on all sides. Remove with slotted spoon to a warmed dish.
Place garlic, peppers, and onion in remaining oil, and lightly fry until onion is clear. Return meat to pan; lightly mix together. Stir in walnut pieces, and cook and stir for one minute. Stir in tomato juice, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
Stir in mushrooms; cook for 20 minutes.