Simple beef stew with an added hint of beer.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 pound cubed beef stew meat
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 quart beef broth
- 1 pint beer
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup peeled and cubed potatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
In a bowl, mix the flour, salt, and pepper. Toss the beef in the mixture to coat.
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, and brown the beef on all sides. Pour in the broth, beer, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. Stir in the potatoes, mixed vegetables, and cabbage. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.