Beer, Parmesan and cheddar cheeses are added to chicken stock with cauliflower, carrots, celery and mushrooms in this satisfying soup seasoned with dry mustard.
INGREDIENTS (for 6 servings):
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
- 8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
Saute green onions, celery, carrots, and mushrooms in butter. Mix flour and dry mustard into sauteed vegetables. Add chicken broth, bring to a boil.
Break up cauliflower into bite-size pieces, steam until just tender.
Reduce heat of sauteed vegetables to a simmer, add cauliflower, beer, and cheeses. Simmer 15-20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Check seasonings.