Beer, Cheddar, Monterey Jack and Parmesan are spiced with a hint of dry mustard in this quick, thick soup.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground dry mustard
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 5 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
- 5 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
In a large saucepan over medium high heat, melt butter. Cook celery, carrots and onion in butter until onion is translucent. Stir in flour and mustard to coat vegetables. Pour in chicken broth and simmer until slightly thickened. Puree mixture in a blender or food processor or using an immersion blender. Return to pot.
When pureed mixture is hot, begin to stir in Cheddar, Monterey Jack and Parmesan, a little at a time, alternately with the beer, until all is fully incorporated and melted. Serve at once.