Cheddar and beer are flavored with a hint of Dijon mustard in this easy soup.
INGREDIENTS (for 8 servings):
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared Dijon-style mustard
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
In a medium pot over medium heat, melt butter. Cook celery, carrots and onion in butter 5 minutes. Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Puree mixture in a blender or food processor or using an immersion blender. Return to pot over medium heat.
Toss Cheddar with flour and stir, a little at a time, into the pot, until fully incorporated and melted. Season with mustard. Stir in beer to achieve desired thickness just before serving.